nav

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week 4 Update on Homemade Skincare - Homemade Toner Recipe

After last week, I really, really wanted to give up homemade skincare and go back to commercial products.  I am so glad I didn't because my skin has transformed this week!!!  Now it's clear and glowing!  You will not believe the secret potion that really made the difference this week - apple cider vinegar!!!  For years I've read recipes for homemade toners from apple cider vinegar, but I could not bring myself to use that smelly stuff on my skin.  My skin was so tight and dry last week that I was willing to give anything a try.   There's no denying that the apple cider vinegar smells, but I timed it and the smell only lingers for about 3 minutes.  I cannot tell you why it works - it just does.   I'm willing to bear the smell for these results!



Click through for the recipe!

I wanted my toner to be an exfoliant, as well as having antibacterial and antioxidant properties.  To add exfoliating properties, I added aspirin which is salicylic acid and is a chemical exfoliant (for more information, see my last post on the aspirin honey mask where I discuss the properties of salicylic acid).  I wanted the toner to be antibacterial because some acne can be caused by bacterial.  So, I added some tea tree oil, a natural antibacterial agent.  Studies have shown that a 5% solution of tea tree oil is just as effective as a 5% solution of benzoyl peroxide when treating acne.  Tea tree oil is another one of those things that has a distinctive smell, but I really like it.  It smells kind of like pine trees.  Lastly, I wanted the toner to have antioxidants, so I used really strongly steeped green tea to dilute the apple cider vinegar and other ingredients.


Here's what you need to get started:


Apple Cider Vinegar Toner Recipe
makes 8 ounces of toner, which should last for 2 months
ingredients:::::
1/2 cup of unfiltered apple cider vinegar (I used Bragg's, but any would work)
1/2 cup of strongly brewed green tea
3 uncoated aspirin
10 drops of tea tree oil (use only 100% tea tree oil)
funnel (for pouring in your toner)
1 coffee filter
bottle for storing your toner

method::::
Brew - your green tea in hot water.  While it's brewing, place a coffee filter in a mug and pour in your apple cider vinegar and aspirin.  Let the aspirin dissolve for 5 minutes, then pull out the coffee filter.  This will make it so that your toner doesn't have the shells of dissolved aspirin floating around, but the salicylic acid is still in the vinegar.  Use a funnel to pour all the ingredients into your bottle.  Add your tea tree oil. 


To use your homemade toner, apply it to a cotton ball after thoroughly cleansing your skin.  Wipe the toner across your skin, and wait for that stink the subside!!!  It passes quickly, just hang in there!!!

Let me know if you give this toner a try!!!  I gave a bottle of toner to my friend who has oily skin; I'll be sure to share her experience on the blog!